Friday, April 22, 2011

Lesson Seven: Deviance and Conformity

Deviance is a behavior, trait, belief or action that goes against social norms to provoke a negative reaction. In this photo a boy is smoking pot which violates the law.


Deviance avowal is a process in which an individual identifies as being deviant and creates their own labeling process. These boys identified with each other by being deviant and smoking pot.
Erving Goffman created the idea of stigma, which is a physical or social attribute that devalues a person's identity. This photo shows the tattoo on my forearm and the lavender dye in my hair. The tattoo on my arm can devalue my identity by making it difficult for me to get certain jobs. 



Violent crime is objective or the means to an end. It can include; murder, rape assault and robbery. This picture shows Kate breaking into a jewel safe to steal diamonds.

Incapacitation is a type of punishment that protects society from criminals by locking them up or executing them. After committing a violent crime I was incarcerated to protect the local civilians from my violent ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment